SEND provision for Children and Young People at Plaistow Primary School
At the heart of Plaistow Primary School is the commitment to inclusive practice, and we are proud to hold the Inclusion Quality Mark Inclusive School Award. We are committed to meeting the special educational needs of pupils and ensuring that these pupils make sustained progress due to targeted and specialist support.
We adopt a ‘whole school approach’ to special educational needs and disabilities. All staff work to ensure inclusion of all pupils. The school is committed to ensuring that pupils with SEND can fulfil their potential and achieve optimal educational outcomes.
We aim to:
- Prepare our pupils to live independently and responsibly
- Teach our pupils to understand the rights of other people
- Foster a respect for the environment and adults we work with
- Ensure good to outstanding achievement and attainment for the pupils of our school
- Have high expectations for all pupils
- Develop and create an environment with outstanding behaviour and safety for all
These aims and objectives are established through the following set of documents:
- Whole School Provision Map
- Inclusion Policy
- Accessibility Plan
- SEND Information Report
- Equalities Objectives (2018-2022)
- Public Sector Equality Objectives
- Newham Local Offer
All policies are checked to ensure that they do not, unintentionally, treat pupils with disabilities less favourably.
Admissions for pupils with SEND
We follow London Borough of Newham's admission procedures for children with SEND or additional needs.
In the case of the admissions of a known pupil with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, the following arrangements will take place:
• Additional visits by pupil, parents/carers and support staff if appropriate.
• A staggered admission where appropriate.
• Close liaison and meeting with the previous school and agencies involved.
• Referral to records and any parental concerns.